History of the Group
The Eastbourne Group of Artists is an exhibiting and networking group for professional and semi-professional artists based in Eastbourne and the South East of England. Originally known as the Eastbourne Society of Artists, it was established in 1920 and the first Chairman was Arthur Reeve-Fowkes, keeper of the Towner Bequest, a collection of paintings bequeathed to the town. The collection was later housed in the Manor House, which the Council purchased and became the Towner Art Gallery and Museum. Apart from a short period during the war, the Society, which changed its name to the Eastbourne Group in 1968 and then, in 2003, to the Eastbourne Group of Contemporary Artists, held an annual exhibition at the Towner Gallery from 1923 until 2005.